https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH, recording] Clipped audio output added to
  mic recording when docked

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I have a Lenovo X220 with an mini dock series 3 plus.  Ever since I
  have been using Ubuntu (originally 12.04 and more recently a clean
  14.04 install) I have issues with recording sound from the docking
  station.

  To elaborate plugging the devices in as follows works as expected:
  Mic into docking base
  Headset into laptops headset socket (a combined headset/mic socket)

  However when I connect both the headphones and the mic to the docking
  base a garbled representation of the output audio is mixed with the
  otherwise good quality input.

  I have tried to demonstrate this during the bug report process.  I had
  music playing during the sound recording tests.  During the first test
  the music playback stopped on its own and good quality sound was
  recorded.  During the second test music resumed and I talked over it
  at the end...  Hopefully this helps clarify my explanation.

  Alan

  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu11
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.57-generic 3.13.11.4
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  alan       2596 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  alan       2596 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Aug  4 18:52:04 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaRecordingTest: ALSA recording test through plughw:PCH successful
  Symptom_Card: LifeCam Studio - Microsoft® LifeCam Studio(TM)
  Symptom_PulseAudioRecordingTest: PulseAudio recording test through plughw:PCH
failed
  Symptom_Type: High background noise, or volume is too low
  Title: [HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH, recording] Background noise or low volume
  dmi.bios.date: 10/03/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 8DET65WW (1.35 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 4287CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8DET65WW(1.35):bd10/03/2012:svnLENOVO:pn4287CTO:pvrThinkPadX220:rvnLENOVO:rn4287CTO:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 4287CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X220
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO