I saw the time update after around 30 secs, but then it went from 8:28
when it suspended, to 8:43, 8:45, then 8:46 within a span of several
secs

** Package changed: ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu) => indicator-
datetime (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: indicator-datetime (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Charles Kerr (charlesk)

** Changed in: indicator-datetime (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-datetime in

  Time is not updated on the welcome screen until the next minute

Status in “indicator-datetime” package in Ubuntu:

  I originally noticed this bug in flight mode, but I've seen it
  happening without flight mode too. It seems the time on the welcome
  screen is not updated instantly when the screen is on, but only the
  next time a minute passes. I'm using image 172.

  Original description
  I've noticed that time is updated neither on the welcome screen nor in the
indicator if Flight Mode is on and time and date is set up to update
automatically.

  In this case, the time at the bottom of the Time and Date page in
  u-s-s is still updated normally, but the indicator and the welcome
  screen's time is frozen to the value when the Flight Mode was enabled.

  A workaround for the time to update is to set the update mode to
  Manually, but in any case, as a user, when I set Flight Mode on at the
  flick of the switch, I wasn't expecting to have to open u-s-s for time
  to be kept.