I can also confirm this issue, and affects ubuntu touch. After the
device is booted, when playing something, it'll always be set to maxium,
even though pactl list sinks shows the right volume

Once I change volume up or down, it gets to the right and expected
volume level (abruptly changing the volume).

In my case:
Sink #1
        State: SUSPENDED
        Name: sink.primary
        Driver: module-droid-card.c
        Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
        Channel Map: front-left,front-right
        Owner Module: 7
        Mute: no
        Volume: 0:  15% 1:  15%
                0: -49.44 dB 1: -49.44 dB
                balance 0.00
        Base Volume: 100%
                     0.00 dB
        Monitor Source: sink.primary.monitor
        Latency: 0 usec, configured 0 usec
        Flags: HARDWARE DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY
        Properties:
                device.description = "Droid sink primary"
                device.class = "sound"
                droid.hw_module = "primary"
                device.icon_name = "audio-card"
        Ports:
                output-earpiece: Output to earpiece (priority: 200)
                output-speaker: Output to speaker (priority: 300)
                output-wired_headset: Output to wired headset (priority: 400,
not available)
                output-wired_headphone: Output to wired headphone (priority:
400, not available)
                output-bluetooth_sco: Output to bluetooth sco (priority: 100)
                output-sco_headset: Output to sco headset (priority: 100)
                output-sco_carkit: Output to sco carkit (priority: 100)
                output-aux_digital: Output to aux digital (priority: 100)
                output-analog_dock_headset: Output to analog dock headset
(priority: 100)
                output-digital_dock_headset: Output to digital dock headset
(priority: 100)
                output-fm_tx: Output to fm tx (priority: 100)
                output-speaker+wired_headphone: Output to speaker+wired
headphone (priority: 100)
                output-parking: Parking port (priority: 50)
        Active Port: output-speaker
        Formats:
                pcm

This is already enough to set the right value:
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ pactl set-sink-volume sink.primary 16%

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Volume at login set to Maximum

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Release: Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit Desktop Edition

  What You Expected to Happen: System volume to remain as set before reboot and
as shown in volume panel applet
  What Happened Instead: After reboot/shutdown at and after login system volume
is set to maximum

  Extended Description:

  Intel HD Audio Chipset using S/PDIF coax out to speakers and system
  audio set to digital output

  After either rebooting or shutting down my system at the next login
  the system volume will be set to maximum. Once the panel loads I can
  click on the system volume applet and if I move the volume slider in
  any direction the volume will immediately be set to the correct level.

  Here is how the process goes:

  1. (logged in system running)slide volume to 75% using system volume applet
on panel
  2. reboot
  3. Login,
  4. login soundbite plays at 100% volume
  5. open rhythmbox play audio track system volume at 100%
  6. click on system volume panel applet, do not click slider, slider shows
volume set at 75% as before reboot <---- This is the odd part
  7. click on volume slider and adjust in either direction system volume
abruptly adjusts to match the volume level indicated by the slider.

  If any more information is needed please let me know. Thank you

  **MORE INFO 6/25/10**

  This also affects the system alert volume in the same fashion as
  above. Adjusting the slider for the alert value via the panel applet
  reset the volume to the correct level.