Yeah problem is there are no clear steps, this "just happens" from time
to time. I have a feeling this is related to the device suspending, so
don't keep it connected to usb.

If all else fails, we might need to resort to remote access to a device
someone got locked up.

** Changed in: unity8

  Sometimes input breaks and only edges are responsive

Status in The Unity 8 shell:
  Triaged
Status in “unity8” package in Ubuntu:

  I had the music app (paused) open over night on my mako, waking up the
  device I found the application page showing me the one open app. The
  shell page itself is completely unresponsive, all side edge swipes
  seem to work fine though. I can switch to the music app when swiping
  from the right, bring up the launcher from the left and use the
  indicators from the top.

  When I am in the music app I can bring up the HUD from the bottom
  (trying to close the app, since the closing via the unresponsive shell
  does not work) but the HUD is completely unresponsive. Trying to close
  the HUD again via swiping down I see the indicators expand behind it
  and I am able to get input into the expanded indicators behind the
  HUD, but not the HUD itself.

  Package: unity8 7.84+14.04.20140319.1-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.4.0-5-mako armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.13.3-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: armhf
  Date: Fri Mar 21 11:57:53 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch) - armhf (20140320)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=linux
   PATH=(custom, no user)
  SourcePackage: unity8