file an upstream report if this notebook support external 5.1 speaker by
using three audio jacks at ext front

Node 0x0a [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
  Control: name="Front Headphone Surround Jack", index=0, device=0
  Pincap 0x0000173f: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger ImpSense
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
  Pin Default 0x0221101f: [Jack] HP Out at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0xf
  Pin-ctls: 0xc0: OUT HP VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=02, enabled=1
  Connection: 2
     0x02 0x03*

Node 0x0e [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
  Control: name="Mic Phantom Jack", index=0, device=0
  Pincap 0x00001737: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
  Pin Default 0x02a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
  Connection: 1
     0x04
Node 0x0f [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
  Control: name="Front Headphone Front Jack", index=0, device=0
  Pincap 0x00001737: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
    Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
  Pin Default 0x02011030: [Jack] Line Out at Ext Front
    Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
    DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT VREF_HIZ
  Unsolicited: tag=01, enabled=1
  Connection: 1
     0x05

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  STAC9228 / Dell XPS M1530 / Mic needs a boost, very low signal

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I cannot force Ubuntu to work with the integrated sound-card in my
  laptop it's Dell XPS M1530 and sound card is STAC9228.

  Actually it captures sound from mic but its volume is very low, it's
  too quiet and needs boost. I already tried few combinations with:

  gnome-alsamixer
  alsamixer
  pavucontrol
  and of course I tried following ALSA MODELS:

  STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
  =======================
    ref         Reference board
    ref-no-jd   Reference board without HP/Mic jack detection
    3stack      D965 3stack
    5stack      D965 5stack + SPDIF
    5stack-no-fp        D965 5stack without front panel
    dell-3stack Dell Dimension E520
    dell-bios   Fixes with Dell BIOS setup
    volknob     Fixes with volume-knob widget 0x24
    auto                BIOS setup (default)

  Unfortunately it's still very quiet.

  I also read on forums (2008ish) that people already had issues with
  this configuration but they were able to handle it switching input
  device to "digital mic", but I don't have such an option in modern
  Ubuntu..

  Here is my alsa-info result: http://www.alsa-
  project.org/db/?f=7af515217ca211337c5c364231b7480eb5575bcb

  Please advice things I could check. Thank you.