I have a UX request when setting the timer. In addition to setting the
time remaining until it expires (as you'd expect), I'd like to also
switch to the ability to setting the clock time that I want it to
expire. This would be very similar to setting an alarm of course, but
the alarm setting UI is geared towards persistent alarms, not ephemeral
ones.

Example use case: there's a one-off thing I need to do at 2pm. I could
set an alarm for 2pm by adding a new alarm, and then going in and
deleting the alarm after it has rung but this is tedious. Alternatively
I could calculate the time until 2pm myself and then quickly set a timer
for that length of time. This way there is no alarm to delete after it
has expired.  I'd like to just go to the timer section and add a timer
to ring at 2pm by toggling to an "ETA" display instead of "time
remaining" and setting it from there.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-datetime in

  [Clock][UX] Add timers functionality

Status in Indicator Date and Time:
  New
Status in Ubuntu Clock App:
  Triaged
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Triaged
Status in indicator-datetime package in Ubuntu:

  I'm greatly missing timers from the clock app. In Android I use them
  all the time for fixed time periods (laundry/bread/cooking/tea is
  ready, etc.), and it's rather inconvenient to have to create a
  gazillion alarms at a fixed time for these.

  I'm not sure why they got removed, but could we have them back please?
  Thanks for considering!

  Before we will implement this we need to fix:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-clock-app/+bug/1480200