Ok... after digging into this for a while it seems the issue is in
ubuntu-push-client. It can't find the sound because on Aquaris phones we
use a customized sound file that's not located in a XDG_DATA_DIR. From
the log:

2015/09/16 16:43:40.739431 sounds.go:76: DEBUG [UqURQ1yBEeWC7foWPmWXaQ==]
unable to find sound /custom/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/notifications/Aquaris.mp3

FWIW, we should not only add support for this path (/custom/) but instead don't
restrict sound files to XDG_DATA_DIRs at all. For example Ubuntu Touch Tweak
Tool supports changing the default ringtones just by setting our used gsettings
key. Eventually we will probably allow the user to select his own sound files
for ring tones with the default settings app just like that. In which case we'd
run into this bug again.

** Package changed: pulseaudio (Ubuntu) => ubuntu-push (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Notification sounds aren't being played back on E4.5

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-push package in Ubuntu:

  This affects mostly the push notifications based alerts, SMS et.al.
  work fine.

  With export PULSE_PROP='media.role=alert'

  This has no audible output: paplay
/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/notifications/Slick.ogg
  This does:  paplay /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/ringtones/Soul.ogg

  $ system-image-cli -i
  current build number: 14
  device name: mako
  channel: ubuntu-touch/stable
  alias: ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-rtm/14.09
  last update: 2015-01-16 13:12:29
  version version: 14
  version ubuntu: 20150116
  version device: 20141119
  version custom: mako-1.1

  The hunch is some buffering going on on the android side for short
  sound bytes.