I have this problem too. Sometimes I have one instance of Files open and
I work with some other application like Firefox. Then I click on Files
to navigate to the opened instance of Files but this starts a second
instance of Files. I can still find the first instance with Alt+Tab.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Clicking on "Files" opens new window, rather than switch to already
  open one

Status in Nautilus:
  New
Status in Unity:
  New
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  Although I can currently recreate the bug with "Files" (Nautilius, is
  it?), I remember having seen such a thing before with other windows,
  although only with previous Ubuntu versions.

  The bug is as follows. In the current desktop, I open Files (and I see
  the arrows on the left saying how many of such windows are open). It
  only happens if "Files" is open once. I click on a partition that is
  not automatically mounted on startup (e.g. a Windows partition) (I
  haven't tested with one that automatically mounts but is not a part of
  /), regardless of whether it was previously mounted or not.

  When I switch away from that window (e.g. click on Firefox), then I
  click back on its icon, I get a new "Files" window, rather than the
  old one I had open, which was viewing the windows partition. If you
  can't replicate this, try CTRL+L (leave the cursor on the path box) on
  that window and then switch away and back.

  Note that with ALT+TAB and ALT+` I can see the window alright. Also,
  if there is more than one "Files" window, whether all looking at
  windows partitions or not, there is no problem, even if the first such
  window was the last to be viewed, clicking on the "Files" icon
  correctly returns to that window.

  In summary, when "Files" is opened once and viewing a windows
  partition, clicking on a different application and back on its icon
  opens a new "Files" window rather than switch to the old one.

  Package: unity 7.2.2+14.04.20140714-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-36.63-generic 3.13.11.6
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-36-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.4
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins:
[core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,decor,mousepoll,vpswitch,regex,animation,snap,expo,move,compiztoolbox,place,grid,imgpng,gnomecompat,wall,ezoom,workarounds,staticswitcher,resize,fade,unitymtgrabhandles,scale,session,unityshell]
  CurrentDesktop: Unity