As part of the big bug review for 16.04 LTS I have tested this on 15.10
and the bug is still there.

** Tags added: desktop-bugscrub-triaged

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Synaptic doesn't close properly after exiting from "enter password"
  window

Status in synaptic:
  New
Status in Unity:
  New
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:

  OS: Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit with Unity, fully updated

  Reproducible: always

  How to reproduce the bug:

  1) Pin the "Synaptic package manager" to the Unity launcher
  2) Click on the Synaptic icon
  3) There will appear a window, which asks for your password
  4) Close that window
  5) The Synaptic icon on the Unity launcher will have pulsing light for 5-10
sec (this is the animation that Unity launcher uses when the app is launching)
and you can't launch Synaptic by clicking on that icon during the pulsing light
animation.

  Expected behaviour:

  5) The synaptic icon on the Unity launcher gets back to default state
  immediately and the icon acts as if the Synaptic was closed. So you
  can just click on the icon and launch Synaptic again.

  Important: such issue with Synaptic doesn't happen with other DEs like LXDE
or XFCE

  I can provide more info if needed. This happens on every Ubuntu 14.04
  setup I tested, so it seems it's unrelated to hardware and drivers.