Thank you for your investigation.

I sent e-mail to Clemens Ladisch and asked him to comment on this bug
report.

I see this report is now marked Incomplete. What other information do I
need to provide to remove that designation?

A web page suggested I use "ubuntu-bug -s audio" to report my problem,
which led me here. Is there a better forum to report this issue?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID, playback] volume slider problem - Slide to
  bottom and sound stays off even when slider moved up again

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  The Audio Mixer panel widget slider (current version) has no "mute"
  checkbox. The 12.04 version had a mute checkbox in addition to the
  slider.

  When the slider is moved to the bottom, everything is muted: Master,
  Headphone, Speaker, PCM. Move the slider up and only Master is
  unmuted.

  My computer has three hardware buttons for audio. The mute/unmute
  mutes but never unmutes. Same issue.

  Known problem: http://askubuntu.com/questions/397819/ubuntu-13-10-and-
  xfce4-no-sound-at-all

  With 2012.04 I could just uncheck the mute button and things were back
  to normal. Now I need to open Audio Mixer and unmute everything.

  (It also appears I need to unmute the Headphones to hear sounds from
  the internal speakers.)

  As someone who works in an environment where I regularly need to mute
  this behavior is very annoying.

  1) The volume sliders should never mute.
  2) There should be a mute checkbox.
  3) The unmute options should unmute everything which was muted.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-34.60-generic 3.13.11.4
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-34-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Sun Aug 17 06:53:47 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_Card: RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] - HDA ATI HDMI
  Symptom_PulseAudioLog:

  Symptom_Type: Volume slider, or mixer problems
  Title: [HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID, playback] volume slider problem
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-08-13 (3 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 03/31/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A14
  dmi.board.asset.tag: 1234567890
  dmi.board.name: 0J509P
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: 1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA14:bd03/31/2011:svnDellInc.:pnStudio1747:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0J509P:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: Studio 1747
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
  mtime.conffile..etc.modprobe.d.alsa.base.conf: 2012-09-22T06:43:48.837149