Public bug reported:

I tend to want to view photos in the "Photos" mode instead of "Events"
most of the time, but currently I need to select "Photos" every time
manually when I start the app or switch back (if it's no longer
running). I'd like for the Gallery to remember the mode it was in the
last time.

** Affects: gallery-app (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gallery-app in Ubuntu.

  Remember mode of operation when restarting

Status in gallery-app package in Ubuntu: