Thanks Alkis. I didn't realise that Simon is the Debian maintainer. I
just wanted to try and make sure this bug doesn't languish because it
hasn't gone to the right place.

I'm quite happy for this bug to remain open in Ubuntu if that's what
Simon wants to do. As long as we consider the bug valid and open then
that's the right status as long as the issue remains unfixed in Ubuntu,
whether or not the fix belongs in Debian.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  DNS breaks when port=0 is used in dnsmasq.conf

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:

  The following function is defined in /etc/init.d/dnsmasq:

  start_resolvconf()
  {
  # If interface "lo" is explicitly disabled in /etc/default/dnsmasq
  # Then dnsmasq won't be providing local DNS, so don't add it to
  # the resolvconf server set.
          for interface in $DNSMASQ_EXCEPT
          do
                  [ $interface = lo ] && return
          done

          if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf ] ; then
                  echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" | /sbin/resolvconf -a lo.$NAME
          fi
          return 0
  }

  When someone puts port=0 in dnsmasq.conf, because e.g. he wants to use it
only as a (proxy)DHCP/TFTP server,
  127.0.0.1 is added to resolvconf, and DNS is broken because nothing listens
there.

  One workaround is to put DNSMASQ_EXCEPT=lo in /etc/default/dnsmasq.
  But that doesn't make much sense, we don't want to exclude some interface,
we're not running a DNS server at all.

  So it would be nice if dnsmasq checked if port=0 is defined in its
  configuration, and didn't add 127.0.0.1 to resolvconf then.

  Sample implementation code, to be inserted before `if [ -x /sbin/resolvconf
]`:
      grep -qr port=0 /etc/dnsmasq.d/ /etc/dnsmasq.conf && return