XMPP is not dead ... I just convinced a new friend to use it. We are very happy
about it and the fact that it is decentralized. Supporting it is supporting
open communications. We shouldn't have to rely on big companies that just want
to make money out of you for such fundamental social actions as talking to each
other.
XMPP support is the one feature that I miss most on my Ubuntu Phone, and seeing
it integrated into Messaging would make me really happy.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-system-settings-
online-accounts in Ubuntu.

  Support for XMPP

Status in messaging-app package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts package in Ubuntu:

  Hi All,

  basically there are three things that block me to move to Ubuntu
  Touch. A missing spotify app (already in developement :) ), a missing
  mail app (planned for 14.04 :)  ) and finally a missing IM app --
  especially for XMPP.

  Thusly, I propose adding support for XMPP to the messaging-app. It
  already uses telepathy so we should be able to add this functionality.
  I would also be willing to work on this if somebody points me out
  where to start.

  I guess we would have to break this down into several work packages:
  setting up accounts, online/offline handling of friends, choosing
  protocols when composing a message etc. But first I would like to get
  some feedback if you would be okay with such a feature. Maybe it is
  already planned?