I did some more testing, trying to reproduce this.  I did my usual "get
dbus-daemon to go crazy because I'm running through a bunch of wifi
networks" test in my neighborhood.

After getting my phone to be a bit overloaded, I still couldn't trigger
this bug even once.

But I did notice one oddity -- sometimes the phone screen wouldn't
finish fading in to full brightness.  It would then go to full
brightness if I touched the screen.

But that made me think that there is some mechanism/bug by which the
fade-in early-exits.  So what if this bug is an immediate early-exit to
the fade?  Then second press is actually accurately received as a turn-
off-screen-please request (which flashes the screen to full brightness
for a moment).  And the third is a normal turn-on-request.  Pure
conjecture without much evidence.  Just a thought.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to powerd in Ubuntu.

  Sometimes need 3 power button presses to turn on screen

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Incomplete
Status in Unity System Compositor:
  New
Status in powerd package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  [filing here although may be other components]

  Mako running 211 from rtm
   I experienced these symptoms which have been previously mitigated in other
scenarios.
  Last week while traveling and roaming this happened pretty much 100% of the
time.
  This occurred in all areas (hotel, MWC, outside, etc)

  Press power button, no response
  Press button again, screen turns on for a few seconds then turns off
  Press button again, either phone resumes or more often the power dialog is
shown

  When I returned back home the function was normal without reboot or
  other changes.

  The differences in environment:
  Roaming on foreign GSM network
  Lots of Wifi APs not connected

  Attached are some perhaps relevant logs, unfortunately the syslog
  rolled.