Also, two questions:

1. Do you remember if there are any apps running (perhaps in the background)
when you see this?
2. Does the screen stay on forever after it turns on, or do they inactivity
timeouts eventually turn the screen off again?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-system-compositor in

  screen comes on without interaction

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in powerd:
  New
Status in unity-system-compositor package in Ubuntu:

  Pat and I just discussing.
  Pat has seen this on MX4, I've seen this very consistently on Nexus7.
  I would say the Nexus7 screen would turn on by itself every couple of hours
or so.

  MX4 running rc-proposed r145, phone was plugged in and charging