Public bug reported:

Card: HD-Audio Generic
Chip: Realtek ALC887-VD
Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit
pulseaudio 1:6.0-0ubuntu13
- working rear audio jack connected to speakers - volume controlled from
Settings>Sound>Sound Output tab.
- nonworking front headphone jack  - no corresponding output device in
Settings>Sound>Sound Output tab.  (not affected by whether or not headphones
are connected at boot time)
However front headphone jack is visible (muted) in alsamixer, and volume can be
unmuted and raised in current session - returns to muted on reboot.

Detail:
This desktop PC was previously running trusty with front headphone jack working
normally - if audio on rear jack there was audio in headphones.  I do not
remember now whether the audio volume was separately controlled as a second
output device, either would have worked fine for me.
Fresh install of wily on a new disk resulted in working rear audio jack, but
non-working front headphone jack.
The ubuntu Settings>Sound Output tab shows only one device for sound output:
"Line Out - Built-in Audio".

My expectation is that the volume level of the headphone jack should
initially be set to a non-zero level.

After exploring various options, I discovered that the front headphone
jack is visible in alsamixer but displayed as level 0 and muted.  It can
be made to work in the current session by unmuting and setting to a non-
zero level.

Adjusting volume and balance in the ubuntu Settings>Sound Output tab
affects the audio output levels to the headphone jack in the way one
might expect, but when the settings are changed while alsamixer is open
(eg left right balance), the vertical bars for the headphone level do
not move as they do for all other output jacks.  But when the surround
sound profile is changed in the Settings>Sound Output tab, both actual
headphone volume and headphone volume bars in alsamixer drop to 0 with
muting.

In any event, on reboot the jack is muted again and needs to be reset in
alsamixer.

Following online advice, I unsuccessfully tried various ways to make the
unmuted settings survive a reboot - eg running alsamixer under sudo,
alsactl store.

Eventually I looked at the contents of the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
file and realised that the unmuted state was properly set in the file
and was unchanged on reboot.

The muting was being caused by pulseaudio.

I was able to verify this by unmuting in alsamixer and restarting
pulseaudio without rebooting - the output was muted again.

Package: pulseaudio 1:6.0-0ubuntu13
ApportVersion: 2.19.1-0ubuntu5
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC1:  jane       1189 F.... pulseaudio
                      jane       1491 F.... alsamixer
 /dev/snd/controlC0:  jane       1189 F.... pulseaudio
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Fri Nov 20 20:26:26 2015
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64 (20151021)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_AU:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: pulseaudio
dmi.bios.date: 09/24/2012
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: V1.1
dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
dmi.board.name: FM2-A75MA-E35 (MS-7721)
dmi.board.vendor: MSI
dmi.board.version: 1.0
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.vendor: MSI
dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrV1.1:bd09/24/2012:svnMSI:pnMS-7721:pvr1.0:rvnMSI:rnFM2-A75MA-E35(MS-7721):rvr1.0:cvnMSI:ct3:cvr1.0:
dmi.product.name: MS-7721
dmi.product.version: 1.0
dmi.sys.vendor: MSI

** Affects: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug wily

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  front headphone jack recognised by alsa but ignored by pulseaudio

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu: