Workaround found: Initiating a screenlock (ctrl-alt-L) and unlocking
reliably restores panel and indicator bar responsiveness.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  top panel and launcher are unresponsive

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Unity has recently (~2014-07-15) started exhibiting two odd behaviors that
are likely related:
  1) The launcher, which is set to autohide, will appear and disappear in <1s
(even though I hover over the launcher). It is unresponsive to clicks.
  2) All applets  in the top panel are unresponsive to clicks.

  1 & 2 always occur together at some point during a session. That is,
  these components work correctly for hours (days?), then become
  unresponsive. I have not yet identified the trigger event;
  screenlocking or suspend/resume *may* be related, but not reliably so
  (i.e., I can't reproduce it this way).

  Restarting unity-panel-service (killall unity-panel-service) doesn't
  help. The problem is temporarily fixed by logging out/in or rebooting,
  but the issue recurs.

  The timing of the first occurrence (in July) is probably consistent
  with my first use of unity-tweak-tool to set focus follows mouse,
  although this hypothesis doesn't explain why the components initially
  work and then become unresponsive. Otherwise, my config is pretty
  stock.

  Package: unity 7.2.2+14.04.20140714-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.57-generic 3.13.11.4
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-32-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins:
[core,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,imgpng,mousepoll,snap,resize,move,grid,unitymtgrabhandles,place,regex,gnomecompat,vpswitch,animation,expo,workarounds,ezoom,wall,session,fade,scale,unityshell]
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Aug  3 12:17:34 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
  SourcePackage: unity
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to trusty on 2014-04-21 (103 days ago)