Public bug reported:

I am using rsync for many years for various backup scenarios. One backup
goes from my KUbuntu 15.10 ext4 hard disk to a (Windos) ntfs share.

With rsync 3.0.9 from Ubuntu Precise this was a very fast and
comfortable task. Since rsync version 3.1.0 everything is extremely
slow. So I tried many things from removing (-a -z ...) to adding (-W
--modify-window=1 --inplace ...) rsync options, but no avail. There is
also no difference if the synchronization is via network or USB. With
other ext4 hard disks everything is just fine, as always.

I wasted a lot of time searching, but the culprit is rsync 3.1 alone.
Today I installed the old rsync version 3.0.9 from Ubuntu Precise and
voilà rsync is working again.

I do not understand why you provide a broken package and why it is
broken for so many years. Or does nobody else use rsync between ext4 and
ntfs?

** Affects: rsync (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to rsync in Ubuntu.

  Rsync 3.1 is extremely slow (ext4 » ntfs)

Status in rsync package in Ubuntu: