This is the designed, intended, and expected behaviour. We do not want
to enable a user to be able to accidentally remove large groups of
packages due to Depends: declarations.

The suggested behaviour is treated as a critical bug. See bug #1479207
"Never-MarkAuto-Sections not working correctly"

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  removing a meta package should also remove its children

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I just spent close to an hour helping a new user of ubuntu who kept
  purging a meta package and did not tell me he had other packages
  installed so what could have save us both lots of time would be to
  remove child packages as well

  in this example he was trying to purge mysql-server which was the meta package
  what he had installed was mysql-server-5.5 and mysql-server-core-5.5
  he never told me he had mysql-server-5.5 and mysql-server-core-5.5
  which caused wasted time effort and energy trying to solve his problem

  Package: apt 1.1.4
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.19.3-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64