Hi, I have been facing this problem for long time. Exactly since February 2014,
when I purchased ASUS X550 CA Notebook.
I purchased just with DOS(no operating system pre-installed) and started to
work with Linux Mint Cinnamon(which is a derivative of Ubuntu).

Webcam: USB 2.0 HD UVC Webcam on /dev/video0.

Cheese usually gave me an error: There was an error playing from the webcam.
I couldn't fix it but I noticed that on somedays it would play normal. So I
used to restart the system few times to get it to work but without any
guarantee. Same problems with skype too, i.e, there would be no video.

Few days ago, I was trying Zorin OS 9(64 bit) on my ASUS x 550 CA  to
review and help a friend install. To my great surprise, I found that
cheese worked out of the box(i.e., Webcam was playing OK) and same with
skype too. I thought it was one of those lucky times and restarted and
tried few more times. It was still working. So I installed Zorn OS 9 on
my X550 CA and I was happy. Then after installation, I did a software
update the next day and the webcam crashed as usual. I was unable to
figure out what exactly happened. But then I realised that with the
software update in Zorin OS(unlike Linux Mint), there was also a kernel
update.

Fix: So I rebooted the system and from the prompt, I choose the older Kernel
3.13.0-32-generic from the options.
Result: The Webcam works. So does in skype and guvcview. I made a skype video
call and checked that the webcam was working. Earlier(with my Linux Mint 17.x),
even when the Webcam worked on one of those lucky instances, webcam used to
freeze during webcall. That issue is also fixed for now.

I am not an expert at anything, but I guess it is possibly a Kernel
issue. I would like to know if it works for you guys. All the best.-I
will update here, if there is any further webcam crash with this Kernel
3.13.0-32-generic.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libjpeg-turbo in Ubuntu.

  Cheese says "There was an error playing video from webcam"

Status in cheese package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libjpeg-turbo package in Ubuntu:

  Whenever I open Cheese in Ubuntu 14.04 beta 1 (Unity), my webcam's light once
turns on, then it turns off and Cheese turns black, written "There was an error
playing video from webcam". This never happened in any previous versions of
Ubuntu.
  The problem is reproducible.

  Package: cheese 3.10.2-0ubuntu2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-12-generic i686