I'm on Lubuntu 14.04 64 bit and it happens consistently when logging out
from lxde session.

I have a multi-user LTSP setup, and it doesn't happen when a thin client
user logs out, only when the local (tty7) user logs out.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  init --user 100% one core, 2,5 GB memory taken

Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:

  As in summary. I didn't track the exact steps to reproduce, it seems
  to happen when idle. Also Nicotine and Apport have similar issues, so
  maybe python is to blame? Started to happen only recently, so probably
  one of the latest updates introduced this regression.

  Package: upstart 1.10-0ubuntu7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-19.33-generic 3.11.10.5
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-19-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.12.5-0ubuntu2.2
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sun Mar 30 11:00:50 2014
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  MarkForUpload: True
  SourcePackage: upstart
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to saucy on 2013-10-17 (163 days ago)