My Ubuntu 15.04 is fresh installed using the frugal install method.  Its a Sony
Vaio VGN-FW250j and the bios is locked out, which is why I had to use the
Frugal method.  Its a dual boot system with Windows 7.  The two share a Data
drive for storage only.  I wish I knew how to capture the shutdown data.
I have not upgraded to 15.10 since someone confirmed its still doing it on that
as well.  The one odd thing for me is I tried to use a different browser than
Chromium.  I started using Firefox and the Target Reached Shutdown hang only
hangs for a few seconds and then shutsdown on its own.  But every time I bring
up Chromium it hangs on shutdown or reboot and I have to use SYSRQ+alt+REISUB
to reboot then wait until its up again just so I can shutdown properly. So I
don't understand that and so far no one has been able to explain or repeat that
to confirm it.  It is very repeatable for me.
My hunch is some background google app that is embedded with Chromium is the
culprit, at least in my case.  It may just be the beginning of a chain of
events that happen to cause the hang but I don't know that because I can't
capture the shutdown data.  I need a forensics tool.

  reboot hangs at 'Reached target Shutdown'

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I rebooted my 15.04 system, and found it hanging indefinitely at the
  plymouth shutdown screen.  Hitting esc to reveal the console showed a
  normal set of shutdown messages, ending with 'Reached target Shutdown'
  (paraphrased from memory).

  The system never rebooted on its own.  I had to use SysRq to finish
  the shutdown.

  Package: systemd 219-7ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jun 13 11:53:10 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20100816.1)
  MachineType: LENOVO 2306CTO
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.19.0-20-generic
root=/dev/mapper/hostname-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2014-12-06 (189 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 10/25/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: G2ET97WW (2.57 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrG2ET97WW(2.57):bd10/25/2013:svnLENOVO:pn2306CTO:pvrThinkPadX230:rvnLENOVO:rn2306CTO:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X230
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO