Like APT,  synaptic shows the packages to be installed; as such the user
sees that a lot of packages are installed and can make a descision. If
the user cannot make a decision based on that fact, said user is not the
target audience.

** Changed in: synaptic (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: synaptic (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Alberto Salvia Novella (es20490446e) => (unassigned)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdebi in Ubuntu.

  The package manager does not report installing a desktop environment
  as a dependency

Status in APT:
  Invalid
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in aptitude package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in gdebi package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in muon package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in qapt package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in synaptic package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in apt package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  The average user cannot tell when they are installing a desktop
  environment as a dependency of a package.

  Having various desktop environments can reduce system performance
  sensibly, as processes from various desktops are running
  simultaneously in the background. Moreover the autoremove tool cannot
  always identify the dependencies when removing some of those installed
  packages.

  For example if I install the "cortina" package, it takes with it the
  GNOME Display Manager and plenty of wallpapers. Then if I uninstall it
  and do "sudo apt-get autoremove" those packages are not detected as
  unused.

  Another example: if I install the "rkward" package plenty of KDE
  services, like the Akonadi indexing service, are installed. Then
  launching applications in my Inter Core 2 Quad becomes noticeably
  slower, because my system is running both GNOME and KDE services
  simultaneously.

  If I remove rkward and then I perform an autoremove, the system still
  stays slow. If I uninstall all the packages in the universe
  repository, perform an autoremove, and then reinstall the applications
  I had, the system becomes fast again.

  The user shall know these potential problems beforehand.

  Package: apt 1.0.10.2ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.19.1-0ubuntu5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity