> To my knowledge, Canonicals contribution is only in Canonicals patched
> version of accountsservice. If I install accountsservice-ubuntu from the
> Arch AUR, LightDM will then show the user background. Meaning, the
> underlying code is indeed in LightDM. But hey, what do I know?

Canonical is still shipping 0011-add-background-file-support.patch,
which adds a background-file property to ActUser. Probably they feel no
need to switch to the extension interface because the patch is working
fine for them.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Unity Greeter - Background of the Unity Greeter should reflect the
  background chosen by the user that is currently selected

Status in accountsservice:
  Fix Released
Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Released
Status in Light Display Manager:
  Fix Released
Status in Unity Greeter:
  Fix Released
Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:

  Background of the Unity Greeter should reflect the background chosen
  by the user that is currently selected.

  e.g. the background the user has selected on their desktop should be
  displayed in the greeter.  See the attached animation
  login_screen_v02_WP.mov to understand exactly how the backgrounds
  should crossfade.