Seems like the gallery-app scans your whole home folder and media
folders. Starting the app for the first time takes like 10 minutes for
me because of that.

I also store my pictures on a different drive (mounted to /mnt/xyz), and
there seems no way to configure that. Should I file a separate bug for
this?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mediascanner2 in Ubuntu.

  Provide a way to hide images from a particular location

Status in gallery-app:
  New
Status in gallery-app package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mediascanner2 package in Ubuntu:

  I've put about 30GB of music in my SD card. Some of the music files
  don't have embedded cover art and their folders contain those cover
  art images.

  When I then opened the Gallery app, I noticed I now have thousands of
  "pictures" imported from the cover art images showing up in my Events
  and Pictures tabs, cluttering the real pictures I've taken with the
  camera.

  Is there a way to tell either mediascanner or the Gallery app to
  ignore a path and not import/show the images there? E.g. similar to
  Android, where you can put a .nomedia file in a folder and its images
  won't show up in the picture viewer.