I am still experiencing this issue. Not just with Android Studio, it also
happened when loading a file in Gedit. CPU2 goes to 100% and stays there, while
Gedit or AS stops responding. In the System Monitor "Processes" tab, no
processes are taking more than 1 or 2% of a CPU. The process that froze has 0%,
but >600Mb memory usage. The process unfreezes typically after 5 minutes.
Almost always it's cpu2, once it was 9, occasionally it's cpu3.
I have a 6core cpu, 16G of memory.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  lightdm hangs, windows freeze, lightdm restart helps most of the
  times.

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  Since a few days, when I use Android Studio, my screens freeze.
  Nothing works. With alt-crtrl-F2 I log in to a shell window, restart
  lightdm, then it works. Except on the last freeze, now I had to
  restart the computer. When restarting lightdm, a popup said "system in
  low graphics res, cannot detect your settings".

  I have reported the but to Android Studio developers. But a program,
  even a big one like an IDE, should not be able to crash my computer.

  Package: lightdm 1.14.2-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.19.0-33.38-generic 3.19.8-ckt7
  Uname: Linux 3.19.0-33-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.7
  Architecture: amd64