This turned out to be a problem with the clock!  (Along with my
unfamiliarity with Gnome.)

** Changed in: ca-certificates (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ca-certificates in Ubuntu.

  Browsers apparently not finding certs in Wiley new install

Status in ca-certificates package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  New install of 15.10, (Gnome). I can access sites fine from other
  machines on the LAN, but my new install tells me that all connections
  are untrusted. I have also installed chromium browser and I have the
  same problem. For both, if I allow the exception, I can get through
  fine. (Though not to google.com which doesn't allow security
  exceptions, apparently.) I have checked /etc/ssl/certs, and all looks
  fine. (There is, at least, a long list of certs there.)

  So, this is not a firefox or chromium issue. It's something deeper.

  Because apport can't get to the browser, I'm not sure how to send
  system data.