Actually what I wrote on 2015-10-09 does NOT make sense. I wrote: "And
then finally when switching to browser on a flat-down phone it suddenly
orientates to portrait. And what is worse for the user is that the whole
shell and therefore right edge switcher changes place making the whole
system navigation more difficult."

What actually is true is that the Shell already is in portrait after the
phone call and doesn't need to rotate to landscape since the landscape
browser rotates to the same portrait orientation.

What is really important to notice when considering these use cases is
that apps have their orientation (some of them can be only in landscape
or in portrait) and shell has its orientation. AND that the Shell
orientation and the focused app orientation need to be the same. This is
mainly due to the bottom edge swipe feature that belongs to apps. In
order to avoid any collision between the shell edge gestures and the
application's bottom edge swipe the orientation need to be in sync.

What orientation UX spec states is:
1) Application orientation follows the device orientation as long as that
orientation is supported by the application
2) Shell orientation follows always current application's orientation

Now considering this again I would say that the way it works currently is the
correct way. As a user I would be more annoyed if the shell rotated unexpected
than if the app changed its orientation. At least the system's main
navigational edges would remain the same.

My conclusion would be to set this Invalid. Any other comments?

  orientation sensor "last vertical" seems to be remembered and applied

Status in QtMir:
  Incomplete
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  In Progress
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  latest rc-image

  1. download and install machines vs machines
  2. open machines vs machines
  3. open browser, rotate to landscape
  4. lay flat on table so that browser is still in landscape
  5. switch back to machines vs machines with launcher
  6. raise top of phone as to make the phone vertical in portrait, lay back
down flat
  7. switch to browser

  expected: browser would be in landscape
  actual: browser rotates