The reported error is fixed by changing the line 814 In file /usr/bin
/unattended-upgrade

        subject = _("unattended-upgrades result for '%s': '%s'") % (
            host(), res)

into

        subject = _("unattended-upgrades result for '{}': '{}'").format(
            host(), res)

Unfortunately the % formating is used in many places and changing this
line doesn't definitely fix the problem with unattended-updates.

Worse. Every time unattended-upgrades tries to upgrade packages I end up
with a broken package. I need to use synaptic to fix the broken package.
Not sure if it is properly fixed.

Could someone please fix this issue ? This means people don't get their
packages automatically upgraded.  Doing it manually fails because of the
broken package.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Fatal exception failure of unattended-upgrade

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:

  Every morning, since I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10, IĀ get a mail (root)
  reporting a fatal exception in unatteded-upgrade containing the
  following.

  /etc/cron.daily/apt:
  Exception: unsupported operand type(s) for %: 'bytes' and 'tuple'
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 1435, in <module>
      main(options)
    File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 1382, in main
      pkgs, pkg_install_success, pkgs_kept_back, mem_log, log_content)
    File "/usr/bin/unattended-upgrade", line 815, in send_summary_mail
      host(), res)
  TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for %: 'bytes' and 'tuple'

  As a consequence no automatic updates are performed anymore, including
  security updates. For this reason I flag this as a security
  vulnerability although it is only indirect.

  Manual updates is still working.