** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #789524

** Also affects: upstart (Debian) via

  "telinit u" under upstart (upstart's Restart command) with systemd-
  sysv installed runs systemd

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in upstart package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  I've today had two machines kill my X session during dist-upgrade, and
  it happened during libc6 postinst. Dmesg shows that systemd got
  somehow started during the earlier phase of the upgrade. X logs show a
  failure with "(EE) Cannot establish any listening sockets" etc..

  Adam can fill in the more detailed analysis of what's happening
  there.. but I think it should be fairly easy to reproduce by
  installing vivid from an earlier image and dist-upgrading to current,
  if needed.

  Reproducer:
   - Start with a standard utopic VM (e. g. adt-buildvm-ubuntu-cloud -r utopic)
   - Switch apt sources to vivid
   - sudo apt install systemd-sysv
   - sudo telinit u  # systemd command, forwards to upstart's
/lib/sysvinit/telinit
   - Or directly: sudo /lib/sysvinit/telinit u