I was struggling so long to figure out why I was shown no MOTD. Now I
know. I was told disabling PAM makes ssh more secure but does that apply
to key based auth?

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  ssh logins doesn't show the MOTD when connecting with public key
  authorisation

Status in Ubuntu Server papercuts:
  Incomplete
Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:

  This is merely a minor annoyance, but nonetheless worth a bug report
  for the servers papercut team:

  The method to display a MOTD described in the official Ubuntu server
  guide, chapter 22 (https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/update-
  motd.html) doesn't work as soon as you connect with public key
  authorisation.

  Connecting /w password only shows the MOTD correctly.