Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: shadow (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to shadow in Ubuntu.

  with encrypted home, /etc/legal is printed twice on every login

Status in shadow package in Ubuntu:

  I have an encrypted home directory, and whenever I log in at the
  console, the contents of /etc/legal are printed twice (after the
  system load stats).

  This happens because:

  1) pam_motd.so uses ~/.cache/motd.legal-displayed to record the fact
  that /etc/legal has already been displayed;

  2) the home directory is read-only until ecryptfs is mounted;

  3) the MOTD is printed before ecryptfs is mounted, because in
  /etc/pam.d/login the pam_motd.so rules come before "@include common-
  session" (which includes the pam_ecryptfs.so rule).

  The fix should be simple - just change the order so that the
  pam_motd.so rules come after "@include common-session". (The Apport
  report says my /etc/pam.d/login is modified, because I did just that.)

  Package: login 1:4.1.5.1-1.1ubuntu4
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Jul 10 00:24:19 2015
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120424.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=linux
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  SourcePackage: shadow
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2015-06-27 (12 days ago)
  modified.conffile..etc.pam.d.login: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.pam.d.login: 2015-07-10T00:04:57.396555