This bug was fixed in the package unity8 - 8.11+16.04.20160212-0ubuntu1

---------------
unity8 (8.11+16.04.20160212-0ubuntu1) xenial; urgency=medium

  [ Albert Astals Cid ]
  * Do not use components in card creator generated code
  * Forward the makesurevisible signal from the inner preview widget
  * Make fallback also be fallback when the image is empty and not only
    on error (LP: #1531913)
  * Make the artShapeSize assignment be updated when using dynamic grid
    units
  * Visual improvements to the dash audio play cards
  * We don't use the unity-scope-scopes anymore (LP: #1439172)

  [ Andrea Cimitan ]
  * only request a bigger image if zoomable widget data property is
    true, otherwise just leave the screen size (LP: #1536814)

  [ CI Train Bot ]
  * Update translation template

  [ Daniel d'Andrada ]
  * Set initial surface size (LP: #1532974)

  [ Daniel d'Andrada, Michał Sawicz ]
  * Window Size Hints

  [ Florian Boucault ]
  * Splash screen: delay showing the ActivityIndicator by 2 seconds.

  [ Lukáš Tinkl ]
  * Replace the word "phone" with a more generic term "device" in the
    welcome wizard (LP: #1294732, #1543527)

  [ Michael Terry ]
  * Have the tablet greeter set appropriate OSK hints if the user has a
    passcode instead of a passphrase. (LP: #1544173)

  [ Michael Zanetti ]
  * Don't eat mouse events in the edgebarrer

  [ Michał Sawicz ]
  * Bump unity-api dependencies

  [ Nick Dedekind ]
  * Added support for secondary indicator actions (LP: #1398888)
  * Remove zombie if they're not animated. (LP: #1534541)
  * Removed unused panel resources

  [ Ted Gould ]
  * Start the indicators after Unity8 starts instead of before

 -- Michał Sawicz <michal.saw...@canonical.com>  Fri, 12 Feb 2016
00:12:41 +0000

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  Fallback image not shown when no image specified

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  In fixing bug #1520631 in unity-scope-click, as the store server will
  start allowing uploads with no icon specified, it was discovered that
  Unity8 is not showing the fallback when we do not include the artwork.
  Instead, it is only shown if we specify invalid artwork. This seems
  wrong, and instead I would think the fallback would be displayed
  whenever no other artwork is provided.