Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: freetype (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to freetype in Ubuntu.

  FreeType stuck on 2.5.2 in 16.04 (xenial), update to 2.6.3.

Status in freetype package in Ubuntu:

  I was browsing the package versions of current Xenial and was
  horrified to find that FreeType is currently stuck un-updated from
  Trusty (2.5.2), and it appears time is running out in the schedule to
  update it. There are an enormous number of improvements in the newer
  versions of FreeType. Specifically, in 2.6 an actual thread safety
  model was introduced (FreeType is no longer thread antagonistic).
  Also, between 2.6 and 2.6.2 FreeType was heavily fuzzed which resulted
  in a number of fixes, some of which may be of security interest but
  because they were not found as vulnerabilities they will probably
  never end up with CVE numbers. I would highly recommend updating the
  version of FreeType in Xenial to 2.6.3.