> Do you mean the cache on disk (/var/cache/apt/archives)?

On my example it was /var/cache/apt/archives/partial.

> If so did you check that the package actually is there on your disk?

Yes, it does partly exist after executing and aborting the first
command.

> I tried to reinstall vim-tiny which was in my cache and saw the following:

This bug is about that "apt-get download" does not use the (partly)
cache of a previously "apt-get install". "apt-get install" alone does
indeed work for me like in your example.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Cache isn't always used

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 dev with apt 1.2.3 and I'm noticing that using
  "apt-get download" does not always use the cache like this example
  shows:

  root@ubuntu:~/tmp# apt-get install adwaita-icon-theme-full --reinstall
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 8089 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
  Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64
adwaita-icon-theme-full all 3.18.0-2ubuntu3 [8089 kB]
  60% [1 adwaita-icon-theme-full 6033 kB/8089 kB 75%]

                                                                   422 kB/s 4s^C
  root@ubuntu:~/tmp# apt-get download adwaita-icon-theme-full
  Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64
adwaita-icon-theme-full all 3.18.0-2ubuntu3 [8089 kB]
  12% [1 adwaita-icon-theme-full 1231 kB/8089 kB 15%]^C