The version assertion should be there. In the shlibs.in file, we have

libunity-scopes @UNITY_SCOPES_SOVERSION@ libunity-
scopes@UNITY_SCOPES_SOVERSION@ (>= @UNITY_SCOPES_MAJOR_MINOR@)

But the micro version is missing here.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  Need to update micro version in shlibs file when symbols are added

Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:

  Currently, we are writing only major.minor into the shlibs file. But,
  if we add a new symbol to the public API and only increment the micro
  version, we really need to write the micro version as well.

  Unfortunately, that's a manual process, so we need to remember. With
  the next version of abigail, it might be possible to spit out some
  big-time warning or some such when new symbols are added to the public
  API. At least that would help to remind us.