The current version of grep was published on 2016-02-18 which could be around
when sbuild broke for me. Did not notice immediately as I was working on
something so I used the chroots directly (which works as there I have a UTF-8
setting there which sbuild deliberately drops).
I downgraded grep in my chroot to 2.22-1ubuntu2 and that causes the issue to go
away. So it is definitely the new version of grep in my environment.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to grep in Ubuntu.

  grep switches into binary mode while processing a text file

Status in grep package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed this staring to happen in Xenial about two days ago. When
  running sbuild (or now the buildd, too), the build breaks when trying
  to compile a generated file. I traced the problem down to grep
  suddenly acting weird. When not having any language set (or a non-UTF8
  mode) it will start printing some lines of a source file and then
  suddenly end that by printing "Binary file ... matches".

  With the attached file, the difference can be observed (running
  Xenial):

  LANG=C grep -v xxx grant_table.h

  and

  LANG=C.UTF-8 grep -v xxx grant_table.h