Thanks for the bug report, Craig. We are aware of the issues fixed in
8.38 but we've prioritized them as 'low' since the issues require
software that passes untrusted regexes to PCRE. We don't feel like this
is common usage of PCRE.

We track these issues in the Ubuntu CVE Tracker:

  http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/pkg/pcre3.html

** Information type changed from Private Security to Public Security

** Package changed: php5 (Ubuntu) => pcre3 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pcre3 in Ubuntu.

  Stack Corruption in PCRE 8.35

Status in pcre3 package in Ubuntu:

  Various security issues have been fixed in PCRE since 8.35.  Here is
  an example of using a malicious pattern within the Ubuntu PHP5 package
  that leads to stack corruption:

  php5 -r 'preg_match("/(?(1)(()(?1)1)+)/","abcdef", $matches,
  PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE);'

  ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/pcre-8.38.tar.gz
  with the upgrade-pcre.php script resolves this issue.