@Steve Langasek
A big issue is that the script makes quite arbitrary assumptions on the system,
including the fact that there is an ondemand governor at all.

A large number of modern systems use the intel p-state driver that does
not have an ondemand governor at all! On this systems, the fallback
mechanism in the script causes the system to always run in powersave
mode, so hindering system performance for no reason.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sysvinit in Ubuntu.

  Drop ondemand init script

Status in sysvinit package in Ubuntu:

  Ondemand init script is not inherited from Debian, it's an Ubuntu
  specific change.

  Some reasons to get rid of it:
  On my wily cloud test, systemd blame's 669ms on ondemand on a cloud instance
with no ability to change frequency..
  In the init script we don't run this for android
  Ondemand is already on by default!  Why don't we just always use whatever is
that kernel's default?

  There are a number of other reported problems with it:
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bugs?field.searchtext=ondemand