Happens for me on Lenovo T420  frequently. At work, I hook it up to the
second monitor.

Yesterday I rebooted, it came up in dual monitor mode, and it was fine
all day, including closing the lid, and the password box is there. At
the EOD, I close the lid, unplug the monitor. Came back in, plug it back
in, initial log in is ok. And then when the screen times out, both
screens doesn't have the password dialog.

End up doing a unity --replace on VT1

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  After locking screen there is no input field to type password for
  unlock

Status in Unity:
  Triaged
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes (but not always) after locking the screen there is the
  situation not having any input field where I can type the password to
  unlock the session again. The shaded gray area simply does not have
  the input field. I can't do anything, I have to switch to text console
  and stop/start lightdm service to cure the problem loosing all of my
  session :(

  Package: unity 7.2.0+14.04.20140416-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
  CurrentDesktop: Unity