I confirm that this is still an issue in Trusty. However, in #1326412,
Dimitri John Ledkov wrote

> This is fixed in utopic, and will not be fixed in trusty.
> One will have to boot under upstart to dist-upgrade reliable within trusty.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-
upgrader/+bug/1326412

  failure to update libpam-systemd in 14.04 due to missing logind init
  script

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Trusty:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Utopic:

  Hi,

  while running inside an i386 lubuntu 14.04 chroot, upgrading libpam-
  systemd to version 204-5ubuntu20.2 fails leaving dpkg in a broken
  state. 'apt-get -f install' from within the chroot will not fix it,
  but if the build is made bootable and put into a iso/VM you can
  recover that way in a live session.

  the problem seems to be the /var/lib/dpkg/info/libpam-systemd:i386.prerm
script failing to bring down the logind daemon with 'invoke-rc.d systemd-logind
stop', because invoke-rd.d is only looking for the /etc/init.d/ script (doesn't
exist) and not /etc/init/systemd-logind.conf (does exist).
  ?

  Reading package lists...
  Building dependency tree...
  Reading state information...
    libpam-systemd
  1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 113 not upgraded.
  3 not fully installed or removed.
  Need to get 0 B/25.2 kB of archives.
  After this operation, 1024 B of additional disk space will be used.
  (Reading database ... 113986 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to unpack .../libpam-systemd_204-5ubuntu20.2_i386.deb ...
  invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/systemd-logind not found.
  dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status
100
  dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
  invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/systemd-logind not found.
  dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-systemd_204-5ubuntu20.2_i386.deb (--unpack):
   subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 100
  invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/systemd-logind not found.
  dpkg: error while cleaning up:
   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 100
   /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-systemd_204-5ubuntu20.2_i386.deb

  Our build logs available upon request, but the scripts to setup the chroot to
recreate it are here:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/build_chroot_nightly.sh

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/inchroot_nightly.sh

  In a web-search I notice a few others running into the same bug,

  chatter on irc at [18:10], http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/05/28
  /%23ubuntu-devel.txt

  someone else's build log:
  https://launchpad.net/~qutim/+archive/qutim/+build/6039800

  launchpad bug #1323575 seems to be a duplicate of this one.

  perhaps related to older launchpad bug #1305395 ?

  note we are also suffering from a failure with update-initramfs, not sure of
the root cause of that one but I thought I'd mention it in case they were
related, since they both started happening about the same time, a couple weeks
ago. (launchpad bug #1317602)
  It all worked ok after the inital releases of 14.04, so something to do with
a package update since then.

  thanks,
  Hamish