@hakuna_matata -- thanks for the report there, testing here confirms
your findings that they are upper case on NTFS and only match with upper
case.  Properly the fix for this whole mess should be in util-linux in
blkid as the individual formats have specific forms and only it knows
what is appropriate to do to that UUID such that we do not lose
information in the transformation.  I am filing a new bug for that
isssue so we track it clearly.  See Bug #1553107.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  [xenial][initramfs-tools] support uppercase and lowercase uuids

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  Initramfs tools does not support uppercase UUIDs. Initramfs-tools
  script/functions uses blkid to determine the device name from
  UUID/PARTUUID but if either of those are in uppercase blkid fails to
  return the name.