> Then maybe at least provide PPA with Mesa builds with enabled VA-API
support?

You can get it here: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu
/graphics-drivers/

> enabling this would mean moving libva to main, and it'd also pull in
ffmpeg and a plethora of other packages..

This make sense, but expose anyway a limitation of current way of
packaging in Ubuntu. Who need it is forced to install it from my PPA (or
elsewhere), which is not supported by Ubuntu, and may not be what the
user really want.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  VA-API implementation for gallium missing

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:

  [needs-packaging] mesa
  Please include "gallium_drv_video.so" which is a native va-api state tracker
for mesa(gallium).

  License: http://www.mesa3d.org/license.html

  Notes:
  Currently (as of today) in ubuntu 15.10 nightly amd64, va-api(vaapi) on
AMD/Ati radeon opensource display hardware is using a vdpau backend  0.7.4 by
Splitted-Desktop Systems (wrapper) on gallium r600. Although its possible and
probably preferred (better performance less copying) to use a native
implementation which mesa(gallium) 10.4 and higher delivers in a form of a
va-api state tracker.

  vainfo #current default setup vdpau backend
  libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
  libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
  libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/r600_drv_video.so
  libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_37
  libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
  vainfo: VA-API version: 0.38 (libva 1.6.0)
  vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API -
0.7.4
  vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
        VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG2Main              :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264Baseline           :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264Main               :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264High               :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileVC1Advanced            :       VAEntrypointVLD

  The preferred setup needs that "gallium_drv_video.so" binary which is
  currently unavailable in ubuntu and debian. As an example I added a
  package/binary from archlinux. Copying the gallium_drv_video.so to
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/ and symlinking(correcting) the
  libLLVM-3.6.so to arch-linux default /usr/lib/ location and exporting
  a variable was enough to make it work!
  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/libva-mesa-driver/
  #example by archlinux

  export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=gallium
  vainfo #preferred setup using gallium va-api from arch-linux (symlinked
libLLVM-3.6.so to /usr/lib)
  libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
  libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
  libva info: User requested driver 'gallium'
  libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/gallium_drv_video.so
  libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
  libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
  vainfo: VA-API version: 0.38 (libva 1.6.0)
  vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
  vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
        VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG2Main              :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileVC1Advanced            :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264Baseline           :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264Main               :       VAEntrypointVLD
        VAProfileH264High               :       VAEntrypointVLD

  I guess this binary "gallium_drv_video.so" might be available as a
  compile flag in the current mesa implementation... intel and vdpau has
  their own current implementation in a separate libva branch
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/libva/ ?