I wonder if the so called Watchdog Hardware is on my machine at all.  I
looked for the conf files in /dev/watchdog and found no such directory.
According to the website:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-
system.conf.html  The manual reads as though its assumed watchdog
hardware is there.  It states that, "These settings have no effect if a
hardware watchdog is not available."

I wonder if anyone assumed the case if it was not there?

It is still my contention the swap management system is at fault here.
I have run several tests loading my 3.7 gig ram and 8.1 gig swap then
shutting all apps off.  Monitoring with system monitor RAM returns to
acceptable levels around .9 to 1.4 gig, however the swap never gets
below 2 gig even after 30 mins of no load conditions, all apps closed.
A swap management system appears to be absent minded.

Turning swap off is the only way I get a clean reboot or shutdown

sudo systemctl reboot or poweroff hang unless swap is cleared first and
swapoff fails if data held in swap is larger than available RAM.  I am
tempted to use SyReq +REISUB just to reboot, why wait for the hang?  I
check system monitor before running the command below to shutdown to
calculate whether the swapoff command will fail then decide how to
proceed.

sudo swapoff -a && systemctl poweroff

  reboot hangs at 'Reached target Shutdown'

Status in systemd:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I rebooted my 15.04 system, and found it hanging indefinitely at the
  plymouth shutdown screen.  Hitting esc to reveal the console showed a
  normal set of shutdown messages, ending with 'Reached target Shutdown'
  (paraphrased from memory).

  The system never rebooted on its own.  I had to use SysRq to finish
  the shutdown.

  Package: systemd 219-7ubuntu6
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jun 13 11:53:10 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64
(20100816.1)
  MachineType: LENOVO 2306CTO
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.19.0-20-generic
root=/dev/mapper/hostname-root ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2014-12-06 (189 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 10/25/2013
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: G2ET97WW (2.57 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrG2ET97WW(2.57):bd10/25/2013:svnLENOVO:pn2306CTO:pvrThinkPadX230:rvnLENOVO:rn2306CTO:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 2306CTO
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X230
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO