** Summary changed:

- Root-owned files being overwritten with HTML by unknown program.
+ apt cron can corrupt /var/lib/apt/lists with captive portal garbage

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt cron can corrupt /var/lib/apt/lists with captive portal garbage

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  On my wife's laptop running  Trusty, patched to approximately a week ago, all
of the
  /var/lib/apt/lists/*i18n_Translation_en* files were trashed by being
overwritten by
  an HTML file from OMNI Hotels (first few lines pasted below).    We had
looked at the
  hotel network signup page using Firefox but decided against paying for the
hotel net,

  The ownership,group for the overwritten files  was still root,root and
  writeable only by owner.

  The overwriting of these files his broke updates.  Moving these HTML files
into
  a "jail" directory and running "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" seems to have
  gotten updating working again.

  I have not found any other overwritten files, or other damage,  yet.

  This seems to have been  benign but annoying, but it's unsettling to see root
files overwritten
  by a hotel network login like this.

  First few lines of the HTML file.  the latter part has "terms and
  conditions, etc.":

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
  <HTML>
  <HEAD>
    <title>Omni Hotels</title>
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/css/nomadix/bootstrap_MPY_v1.css"; />
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/css/nomadix/common.css"; />
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/css/nomadix/custom.css"; />

     <script language="javascript"
src="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/js/nomadix/nomadix.js";></script>
     <script language="javascript"
src="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/js/jquery-1.11.1.min.js";></script>
     <script language="javascript"
src="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/js/jquery-ui-1.8.16.custom.min.js";></script>
     <script language="javascript"
src="https://nomadix.omnihotels.com/js/bootstrap-3.2.min.js";></script>

  (I've saved the full content of these files for possible later analysis.)