I completely removed gnome-system-monitor and reinstalled.  It made no
difference.

I repeatedly clicked on Refresh in the Processes tab of System Monitor.

Some suspiciously large CPU usage values were seen for gnome-system-
monitor like 25% (see attached) while the system was idle.

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2016-03-25 12:07:32.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1561973/+attachment/4611389/+files/Screenshot%20from%202016-03-25%2012%3A07%3A32.png

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  initramfs upgrade slows system severely

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  This morning, synaptic offered 2 candidates after clicking on Mark All
  Upgrades.

  Both were for initramfs.

  After the upgrades were completed, I logged out of the admin account
  and into the regular user account.

  The regular account is very sluggish.  The 4 CPU cores consume between
  0-50% at idle with no app running.

  The time scale of the System Monitor is 15 seconds vs. the usual 60
  seconds.

  Booting into the admin account shows everything is normal.  Switching
  to the regular account triggers the excessive CPU consumption.  The
  Processes and Resources tabs of System Monitor are attached.  I
  briefly saw a kworker process at 100% CPU.

  As is, this system is no longer viable.

  An urgent response would be appreciated.

  Package: initramfs-tools 0.103ubuntu4.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.19.0-56.62~14.04.1-generic 3.19.8-ckt15
  Uname: Linux 3.19.0-56-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Fri Mar 25 08:22:24 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386 (20140417)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: initramfs-tools