> You have to run "sudo update-initramfs -u" to regenerate the image!
> What a pity it's not in the docs! (upstream issue?)

Actually /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz does mention it, in the
"custom net interface naming" section.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  16.04 beta2, cannot override udev network interface name in VM

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Hello,

  I just cannot seem to override a network interface name on a Ubuntu Server
16.04 beta 2 fresh install.
  Reproduce steps were tried on both VirtualBox 4 and VMware Player 7.

  (Sadly, despite updating apt, I could not find apport in the
  repositories, so please bear with me)

  --N.B.: following is not an apport output--
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: systemd 229-3ubuntu1
  Package: udev 229-3ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux ubuntu 4.4.0-15-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 19:08:31 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  Architecture: amd64
  InstallationMedia: ubuntu-16.04-beta2-server-amd64.iso, checksummed (20160323)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  UpgradeStatus: fresh install
  --

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Setup VM with a network card (VirtualBox: Intel Pro/1000 MT Server; VMware

  [Link]
  Name=eth0
  MACAddressPolicy=persistent

  8. Run again "/sbin/udevadm test /sys/class/net/ens160"
  ID_NET_LINK_FILE=/etc/systemd/network/50-eth0.link
  9. Run "sudo reboot"
  10. Login and run "networkctl"

  Expected result:
  interface name is now eth0

  Actual Result:
  No change in interface name.

  Other thoughts:
  - journalctl does not provide extra info, just that the interface has been
renamed to the persistent name as usual.

  - /etc/udev/rules.d/ is empty.

  - network-manager package is not installed

  - Have also tried adding a blank "NamePolicy=" line just under [Link]

  - Have tried with Name=ethfoo to avoid potential conflicts; no dice

  - Of course, you can disable the new names by adding net.ifnames=0
  kernel boot option to grub; it works (but then you don't assign an
  name to a matching device).