Johnny, you can disable support of the Broadcom device.

- Get the source code of the libccid driver from
https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30105#title_ccid.
- edit the file readers/supported_readers.txt
- remove the line "0x0A5C:0x5800:Broadcom Corp 5880"
- run the commands
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install DESTDIR=/tmp/ccid
$ sudo cp /tmp/ccid/usr/lib/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
/etc/libccid_Info.plist

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pcsc-lite in Ubuntu.

  Excessive CPU utilization

Status in pcsc-lite package in Ubuntu:

  In xenial, pcscd CPU utilization occasionally goes haywire:

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND

  27404 root      20   0  384264   4992   2228 S 100.3  0.0  75:39.03
/usr/sbin/pcscd --foreground --auto-exit

  I get this about once a day since installing xenial. I can't quite
  connect it to any specific event on the system, it just seems to
  happen sporadically -- fan turns on, I run top, and there it is again.

  Never had this issue on same hardware incl. smartcard with trusty.

  I wonder if it might be this? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
  bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718473