I don't even understand the argument. Lets turn it around/right again:
Why not just dlopen libGL.so? Any application should be able to dlopen
libGL.so.

"libGL.so" is the library name everyone agrees to and everyone expects
to find, which is exactly why this file exists in the first place,
doesn't it? One should expect that this primary library name points to
the most reasonable and (before all else) WORKING OpenGL library. If a
distribution decides to do some name mangling for maintaining multiple
versions or vendors it is of course free to do so. Please name it
"libGL.so.foo" or "libGl.so.bar" if you want, buy why is it necessary
for pyqt to know about your naming decision and most importantly: Why is
it necessary to stick with a broken(!) default configuration?

It baffles me that it took 4 years to boil it down to one line of not
giving a damn.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  dlopen(libGL.so) resolves to mesa rather than nvidia

Status in NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu:
  New
Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-331-updates package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in pyqt5 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in python-qt4 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm having trouble with a combination of NVIDIA + Python + Qt +
  Opengl.

  I tried using a QGraphicsView on a QGLWidget. I'm getting a white window and
errors like this these:
  QGLShader: could not create shader
  Vertex shader for simpleShaderProg (MainVertexShader
&PositionOnlyVertexShader) failed to compile

  This is an example application triggering the problem:
  http://pastebin.com/R0aa8ejs

  The 'same' program works flawlessly when using C++/Qt. I'm seeing the exact
behavior when using PySide instead of PyQt4 by the way. I'm also seeing this
error when trying the original demo application from python-qt4-doc. Also,
calling
  QtGui.QApplication.setGraphicsSystem("opengl")
  produces the same errors.

  I'm experiencing this problems on 11.10 and 12.04 with the ubuntu-
  provided nvidia drivers (where 12.04 includes the most recent driver
  for now). After installing the driver using the original NVidia
  installer, the applications work as expected.