Thank you both for the files! A quick test suggests that both expose the
problem by unpacking but not configuring libgcrypt before touching
systemd.  The actual produced order is quiet different through (and both
systems are obviously far away from a minbase chroot – which happily
does the right thing™). I might have some free time later this week to
look at this closer if nobody else beats me to it… (no promise through).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  package systemd-sysv 225-1ubuntu9.1 failed to install/upgrade:
  libgcrypt20 was unconfigured

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Happened during upgrade to 16.04, don't know any more details.

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: systemd-sysv 225-1ubuntu9.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Mar 22 22:56:03 2016
  ErrorMessage: pre-dependency problem - not installing systemd-sysv
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130423.1)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.18.4ubuntu1
   apt  1.2.7
  SourcePackage: systemd
  Title: package systemd-sysv 225-1ubuntu9.1 failed to install/upgrade:
pre-dependency problem - not installing systemd-sysv
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-03-23 (0 days ago)